Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Scientific Brain Wave Reading Toys?

So here is the article about the new toy they are trying to produce that reads brain waves that I promised I'd post.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20070430/D8OQTFP00.html

I am still not quite sure what to think about this one. I think it's very interesting and I am amazed at how Back to the Future seems to become more real every day. I remember watching that movie as a kid and being amazed that people could create all those things and suddenly here we are, on our merry way to doing so. Anyway, so the article talks about using this as a tool to help behavior disordered children. That's interesting. I'm not truly convinced that putting a brain wave reading toy on a kids head and telling him he has to calm down in order to make the car go faster will work. It just kind of seems to me that if a kid has attention problems having him sit in front of the TV and try to concentrate on a game will not improve much, most likely the child will get frustrated or lose the attention and give up on the game and move on to something else, that's sort of the problem in the first place, no attention span. If they can't stay engaged in regular activities why would they want to try extra hard at playing a video game that actually requires you to think? Now, I personally think playing a game like that would be fun, it's very relative to mindfulness. I know there is already a computer game out there, I don't remember the name of it, that you hook up to your finger and it reads your pulse or something like that and you have to do activities by controlling your thoughts and feelings. You make balls rise into the air by maintaining a state of pure calm, or you have to start a fire by becoming more excited. It was very interesting to play and took an immense amount of concentration, something I don't think would go over well with many people who are not willing to become focused. It can be very frustrating when you feel like you're as calm as can be and the stupid ball won't go into the air. I have a relatively good attention span and I can only stand trying to do something like that for so long, I couldn't imagine someone with attention deficit disorder liking or even wanting to play a game like that. The other uses of the device are interesting too though, such as the part about training for sports. I think that could be an excellent tool for that. I do think it's interesting though, because the entire point of the invention, it seems, is the exact point of what Zen Buddhists are doing with their meditation practices. Leave it to western life to have to technify it. As a culture we seem too absorbed in this technology thing. I wonder when we will start to go back in the other direction and get back into natural life. It always seems like that is the general trend of everything in life. The world seems to go from one extreme to the next, obviously very slowly. I am just waiting for America to fall on its ass. But that's another story. However, in the end, and I think this is what it comes down to, if there was a Darth Vadar costume with a thingie in it that would allow me to use my mind to light up a light saber, I am so there. Who could pass up a light saber that lights up on your command??? That is pure genius. From the Wii to brain active toys. What ever could be next.

1 comment:

kiki said...

Me, too! I would totally buy a light saber that lighted up by my own thoughts! I think I'd like to try out all the applications of those biofeedback devices. I was amazed when the article stated that it "fulfills the fantasy of telekinesis." That's just bizarro excitement waiting to happen.